Monday, May 19, 2014

This Past Week...

This creepy dude stayed in his dusty spot in the antique store.  ~shudder~
 The Mom and I did a bit of antiquing on Monday in Pueblo and she picked up this super cool Princess rotary phone.  She can't technically use it on her land line, but who cares!  It's aqua and fabulous!  Are you a vintage phone collector?  After seeing this beauty, I could totally start a new collection!
 We didn't get to spend Mother's Day together, but that's ok.  We hung out the next day so I could give her this little ensemble.  The tin is in rough shape, but that's what makes it so cool.  And the top of the lid says, "to mother, with love."  Perfect!  Gardening is not my specialty, so hopefully this thing survives more than a few weeks.
 This shade of blue is the closest to aqua Pyrex so far.  Isn't if cheery and springy? It could be my new favorite color.  Ok, it is.  I keep looking down at my nails, admiring how pretty they are... I might need more things in my life.  : ) 
 Pyrex problems...running out of room!  
 So this is the bakelite bangle I found in Oklahoma a few weeks ago.  It is big and beautiful, but the color was a bit muddy and it was super scratched up so I decided to sand it down and polish it.  I could tell before I started that it would have some kind of marbling because you could see it underneath the patina if you looked hard enough.  Well I didn't expect this!  Two dark stripes and I don't think it is from the way I sanded it.  This picture isn't doing it much justice, but I think it came out pretty nice. 
 Mmmmm...such a great way to start the day.  Everything is better in Pyrex.
 See that happy smiley guy right there?  That's my twin brother standing next to his "new to him" airplane!!!  I know, crazy uh?  He lives in Alaska and is working on his pilots license.  I'm so freaking proud if him!  This guy dreams big and always goes for it and I couldn't admire him more.
Are you on Instagram yet?  If you aren't, you totally should be!  All the cool kids hang out there.   Ok, that obviously isn't true if I'm on it... ; )

11 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with that little chair with the succulent in it AND your nail color. Do tell the details of where I can buy that little chair and what brand/color are the nails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat things! I love aqua/turquoise ANYTHING, (turquoise is my signature color!) we JUST watched "Bye Bye Birdie" on the drive-in last Saturday after the Miss Casablanca contest, and I was admiring all the princess phones they have in the "Telephone hour" number! So cool! And your tin box planter looks GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should totally collect old phones! I have two rotary ones, pink and aqua (weird, I know). I have the aqua one hooked in to our phone line upstairs and whenever it rings it scares the crap out of me! It's so loud!

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, love those succulents. Nice pyrex collections, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No old phones here, but I do like looking at them! Over dinners we sometimes talk about collections with our friends & this one guy knows this guy who collects phones... says he has like a hundred of 'em. I would collect phone key chains, though! They take up less room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found three of those key chains in my aunts old toys! So cute!

      Delete
  6. Love the gifts for your Mom, sweet! No one is gonna buy that creepy guy, lol. Good job on the bakelite, cool.

    I just showed hubby your Pyrex photo, makes my tablecloth stash look not so bad.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love old phones! I want a rotary desk phone in turquoise would be perfect! I would love for it to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still don't know how to tell if a piece is bakelite or just plastic! Please help. Your Pyrex display is amazing!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erica, I know this is a total "stock" answer, but when it's bakelite, you'll know. There's something about it that just feels different from current plastic. It had depth and patina, and it's usually heavier feeling than regular plastic. Have you heard people talk about the "sniff test?" Rub the piece with your thumb - if it smells very strongly of formaldehyde, then it's very likely bakelite. My best education came from going to antique stores and looking at pieces up close. Once you see and feel it in real life, it's hard to mistake it for anything else. :-)

      Delete
  9. Ooooh, you are bold for sanding the bakelite, but I'm happy it worked out. After sanding, did you Simichrome polish it? Did it shine up?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...