Saturday, August 25, 2012

Denver Modernism Show

Holy crap that was such an awesome event!  Here is a link: http://denvermodernism.com/.  I walked in and immediately went into overdrive, my poor little brain just didn't know what to do.  So I stood there in my over stimulated stooper for  minute, and then thankfully was able to regain control.  What came after that was a wonderful sea of mid century modern clothing, purses, jewelry and housewares and art and furniture and and and and...I'm still a little excited, can you tell?
Here are a few pics:


This robot light was one of my favorite pieces at the show.  I arrived a little after the doors opened at 10am, and this guy was sold and out the door by 10:30.  

They had a really fun fashion show with different fashions from the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's.  The heels some of these chicks had to walk in should beconsidered cruel and unusual in my book.




This vendor had some really great stuff.  I loved that sofa with attached side tables.  The long skinny artwork on the wall looks like dinosaur skulls from far away, which is always cool with me.

These three ladies are Susan Saarinen, Carla (Eames) Hartman, and Celia Bertoia. They all spoke about their fathers (Grandfather for Ms. Hartman) and what is was like to be a part of that modern design world. It was a really interesting presentation by three impressive women, who all happen to live or have lived in Colorado. Why? Because Colorado is awesome!!!

I didn't purchase much at the show.  Not that I didn't want to, it's just that we don't really need much for our house, and I am working really really hard not to be a crazy hoarder person who buys all the lovely pretty things she sees, because I could totally be that person.  And the whole stay at home mom gig I have doesn't pay very well.  I did grab these three Butterprint Pyrex bowls and a sweet set of Pyrex salt and pepper shakers.  I also got a gift for the Mom.  Lets see if I can hold out giving it to her until Christmas!  I did purchased a copy of Guide to Easier Living by Mary and Russel Wright.  I'm only a few pages in, but so far, it is amusing to read this knowing that they wrote it 60 years ago, and that back then it was so progressive and detailed a whole new way of thinking.  So far, my favorite quote from the book is "They are now developing an electronic range that  can bake a potato in 45 seconds."   I'm sure I will find more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...