Monday, June 3, 2013

Thrift Haul - Fabulous Chairs and Cathrineholm

The booth didn't have great sales in May, so I've been trying to not be crazy about bringing stuff in, though that didn't stop me from going down to Pueblo on Thursday to do a little thrifting.  I went to five "new to me" thrift stores.  I felt good about 3 of them, the other 2 were just "meh".  The Goodwill I went to was the most intriguing.  This one had a special section of shelving for vintage and collectible items.  I first walked in and looked towards it and thought I had hit the mother load!  No silly, they do that on purpose!
I found this Cathrineholm tray on those shelfs. It is in awesome condition with no chips to it's enamel, not even a flea bite!  I'm really excited about this because I have never found one before, and it totally matches my living room.  New collection?!...  The paint by numbers were at a consignment shop for a steal and went right to the booth. I sell pencil sharpeners really well on Etsy, so it is always good to have a few of them on hand.  This one has a clear catcher, which I think is really neat.  And the cute creamer went to the booth as well.

I'm a bit bugged at myself for not noticing the slight dishwasher damage on the Spring Blossom.   Does that ever happen to you guys? You get home and find the item isn't as awesome as you thought it was because you were in a sort of junk excited haze...
 A few weeks ago I was thrilled to find this little Kodak Trimmer because I am a sucker for anything from the now defunct company (shedding a single tear).  At first it was just on display next to my old cameras, but then I decided to see if it still works, and it totally does!  Instead of trimming prints and negatives, it's cutting my price tags.  So cool!  
But the most exciting, best find this week are these fabulous metal chairs!
They are a bit rough, but it was one of those meant to be things.  The day I was in Pueblo, one of my cousins who lives there and reads my blog happened to be in the same area (not a big surprise, we have a really big family there) and saw these chairs that I pined for here.  She sent me a picture and I immediately recognized where she was.  After a bit we were able to meet up, and while I retrieved the awesome find of hers (thanks again Tiana!) she played with The Little Dude.  I'm going to redo them, but I haven't decided on a color yet.  Any suggestions or tips for sprucing these bad boys up?

I'm joining the parties at Apron Thrift GirlSir Thrift A LotSumo's Sweet StuffRemnantMod Vintage LifeThe Thrifty Groove and A Living Space. Have a great week everyone!

20 comments:

  1. I WANT THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have no clue how to spruce them up, however. THEY ARE SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those chairs are adorable! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, I hate to admit how many times I find myself buying not so great things in a junk haze! But I would say you could forgive yourself with those other awesome finds! Loving the Kodak trimmer a ton. As for the chairs, maybe some spray paint artistry is in order? Large chevron in navy and white. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the Cathrineholm find. We are still looking for our first Cathrineholm plate as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Kodak trimmer is awesome. You can just shed half a tear because Kodak is not totally defunct - and is actually making new cameras - although it is not the same Kodak as in the past!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of great stuff! Love the Kodak trimmer for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looooove those paint by numbers and chairs! I get the same way, when sale aren't great I try to restrict myself with sales, but then that's what helps sales- such a catch-22!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love those chairs and hope you can get some info on painting them! Awesome! Thanks for joining Diann and I at TTF this week.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. A vintage section at goodwill? Heaven! Great find and in such great condition. Chairs are great too, I love second hand thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've read in magazines that you can go to an autobody shop and have chairs like that powder-coated. Have no idea what that kind of thing might cost, though. I vote AQUA!

    YAY on the Cathrineholm! I've never found any in the wild before. And those PBNs are really pretty! I bet they'll sell fast!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice finds! Love the old chairs. Were they aqua?

    ReplyDelete
  12. You found two of my faves - PBN and CH!! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the paper cutter, so useful! And the metal chairs....oh, so many things you could do...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Go bold with the chairs. Use colour...oh the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yay! You got something close to what you wanted with the chairs. Now just sit back and wait because you will find the glider...I just know it!

    Make sure your use a good primer on those chairs. The first time Brian painted mine, he didn't and the paint chipped right off. Also, buy lots of paint because you will go through it like crazy.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Catherineholm is really pretty - great find! Our Goodwill just tosses all the good with the bad it's in such disarray on the shelves. I love the fridgies - all the 501's on my want list.

    Ummm, ya, it happens to me. It's happened a few times. But I kinda learned to take it easy. I used to always get extremely excited, never look over the item, but now when I am in line, I take a good look over the item - twice.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Did you see this on Fab.com? There is an idea for your chairs! http://fab.com/sale/22090/product/409216/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ahh! I want chairs like that so bad! They are on my list this summer. Happy for you!
    Erica :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would have been ready to go home after scoring the catherineholm tray! Great finds, I've been on the lookout for chairs like that for years! Powder coating is a great idea, but expensive. Congrats on great scores.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love your chairs! I had a similar set years ago, and sold them at a tag sale. I've regretted it ever since!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by! Your advice, tips and comments are sincerely appreciated!!! I need all the help I can get...